I recently discovered the most excellent Bethesda Chevy Chase Back In The Day Facebook group, which is loaded with memories from back in the day. A few railroad related photos and stories, which are fun, but I particularly enjoyed this dark, psychedelic film which ends with a sort of twisted murder rampage. It’s not that graphic but the music and filming style makes it pretty fun to watch. Anyway, what’s this got to do with the Georgetown Branch? Well, the final “scene” of the film part of this movie was staged on the bridge across Bradley Blvd.! You get some neat scenes (albeit short) showing the tracks and surrounding area. Enjoy!
I was interviewed for an article recently published in the Gazette, a local Montgomery County paper. The article covers the tracks recently uncovered in Bethesda (old team tracks, I believe) and how they provide a link to Bethesda’s industrial past. I myself got to see some of the tracks uncovered a month ago and it was a really special sight.
The article is available to read here: http://www.gazette.net/article/20120829/NEWS/708299661/1123/construction-project-reveals-ties-to-bethesda-s-past&template=gazette
I have another more personal-centric blog and over the last year or so I’ve posted a couple entries related to my GB construction progress. They won’t be linked directly here, but you can browse the Railroad category on the blog and see the entries there.
A group of guys from my train club (Rockville Model Railroad Society) met at my house last night and helped work on the layout. Accomplishments:
- Broke down some old benchwork from a members’ old layout (sorry Andy, but it will find a new home elsewhere on the layout – everything, including screws, was salvaged)
- Built a box frame for the benchwork at one end of the room
- Sanded the section of spline roadbed that is complete
- Planned the addition of a small section of spline roadbed to join the existing stretch which is the location of the Government Mapping Agency siding (paper, etc.) and placed an order for some CVMW flexible turnout kits to use here. (There is a slight curve and a conventional straight or curved turnout will not work properly.)
Next up will be installing the siding, installing the box and building out the benchwork, starting the upper deck and working on the helix. Photos from the evening will be posted soon in the Gallery.
Well, it’s been a long, long time (once again) since my last update here. If you’re regularly checking the Gallery page then you know that I’ve been posting some progress photos of the layout construction. I’m about half way done with the helix but it’s slow going. Mainly due to the addition to my family- a new baby girl! Born on 7/5/06.
In the meantime, I’ve done a couple other things GB related. I was lucky enough to gain access to a wonderful collection of old GB photos and documents which has helped greatly in my research. I also took a tour of the Georgetown Waterfront to document all the changes that are occuring there. And, I’ve posted a couple photos from a site visitor in the Gallery.
Had a chance this past weekend to work on the helix for a few hours and made great progress. Drilled holes in the risers for the threaded rod. Installed one half section and got it calibrated. Looks great and was a lot smoother intstall than I thought.
Pics are up in the Main Gallery.
Check the Layout & Gallery sections. *NOTE: I will probably be posting more and more photos to my main Gallery page due to its ease of use.
Got some work done on the benchwork and the Helix – pics are up in the Gallery.
Posted to the Layout section are two new items. First is a documentation of how I built a Helix using Cadrail 7.11. This was a learning experience and turned out better than expected. Second is a list of my DCC System purchase considerations.
Well, to whoever reads this, you may be wondering where I’ve been. Last update was back in April and a lot has happened since then. First of all, I’m a DADDY! His name is Kyle Thomas and he weighed in at 8lbs 5oz, 21″ long and was born on 6/23/04. Mom & Baby are both currently doing fine. We’ve been spending all our time with baby so no time for layout work, really. We also just got back from an annual trip up North to Cape Cod and are just now getting back into the swing of things.Which means, I will finally have a little time for the layout. So, progress report: I have updated some of my trackp plan, a new version coming soon online. I’m desperately searching for a Precision Scale brass model of a B&O Q-1c 2-8-2 which is the class of #4320 which ran the GB local often email me if you have one for sale! I explored deeply the possibly of using an Athearn USRA Light Mikado as a starting point for a Q-1c, and thanks to many on the Yahoo B&O list, I’ve decided not to do it. Just too much work for me at this point. The model and the prototype are so different in several key areas, most notably the boiler jacket which has 5 courses on the Q-1c and 6 on the Q-4 (which the Athearn is most like). I’m tidying up a few things here and there around the site, like adding some more sources to the History page, etc. I’m saving up to purchase the DCC system and preparing to get down to the basement to get that benchwork going! Check back soon for more updates.